Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sing! Sing A Song!


By Jody Worsham

All rights reserved for classical ear plugs

I'm not sure what my seven- year-old has been learning in first grade music class but it seems to be centered on the classics and Americana. This past year he has bump-dee-dee-dee-dee-bump-bump-bump-bump-buuuum...which translates to "The Nut Cracker", in particular the March of the Tin Soldiers. At least it wasn't the Sugar Plum Fairy theme he was de-deeing, not that too many other first graders in his class would recognize any fairy other than the Tooth Fairy.

He has alternated that song all year with "Hail to the Chief". I asked him on what occasion that song is played and he said "When someone very important comes into the room....like Jesus." I'll give him that. We have had a few presidents who thought they were right up there with God.

I guess his class was getting ready for their end of the year music program because he has added a new song to his repertoire. "Poof, the magic dragon lived for me to see...something something something in a big old holler tree..." No amount of arguing could convince him the dragon's name was Puff and he lived by the sea.

Knowing my first grader, it will be Poof the Magic Dragon on opening night and he will still be living in that hollow tree waiting for Jesus to enter "bump-dee-dee-dee-dee-bum-bum-bum-bump buuuuuuum" down the center aisle.

Ahhh, the arts!  It is what keeps us human.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute. Hope the teacher straightens him out in time.

Joanne Noragon said...

I love kid take on lyrics. I am in love with a very old America's Funniest Home Videos of a little boy singing M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-A.

Sharon said...

So cute. All too soon he'll get the lyrics right and life won't be nearly as much fun.