Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


By Jody Worsham

All rights reserved for the Happy Dance!

I have experienced this euphoria on the eve of the most wonderful time of the year before,  but like hot dogs on the Fourth of July and turkey on Thanksgiving, it is an annual thing.
I passed through the school supply aisles at Wal-Mart this morning.  The scent of glue sticks, crayons, and pink rubber erasers filled the air creating a sense of euphoria and hope in this full time Medicare Mom.
Bins were brimming with yellow #2 pencils, brightly colored pencil sharpeners, and scissors of all kinds:  blunt, pointy, lefties, righties, plastic and metal.  Bottles of Elmer’s Glue in all sizes were stacked to the very edge of the shelves.  I was becoming light headed and giddy.
Ring binders were lined up and standing like sentinels awaiting assignments.  The end caps were being stacked head high with notebook paper:  wide rule, college rule, no rule.  Eight colors of folders with or without pockets, with or without brads, plastic or paper glistened like a long awaited rainbow offering hope after 40 days and 40 nights of no school.
I rounded the corner and actually swooned at the sight of cartons of kleenex tissue, paper towels, zip lock plastic bags, and bottles of hand sanitizers filling the aisles as they awaited their turn to be placed on the school supply shelves.
I bought two boxes of crayons and two pencil boxes; then plastic pocket folders in every color, scissors, notebook paper, glue sticks and bottles, a ruler just in case, and four spiral note books.  I got two lunch kits, two thermos bottles and 150 plastic sandwich bags. It was glorious!
As I rounded the corner heading for the check-out line, I burst into song “It’s the most wonderful time of the year. “ School bells are ringing and children are screaming and parents are grinning ear to ear!  It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”
 I couldn’t help myself.  I was a racehorse with the finish line in sight, a marathon runner seeing the last mile marker, the exit ramp on the freeway with no cars in sight. I was about to be home free.   School starts in 16 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes, 12 seconds…11 seconds…10…   I will not think that it is only 90 days until Thanksgiving break when school is out for nine and a half days.  Like Scarlet,” I will think about that tomorrow.”  But for now…
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year!”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe for you, but my kids are all in their 50's, so "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't etc., etc..."

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I remember that feeling well! Summer days, with kids crying " I have nothing to do" made me long for the days of structure.

Jody Worsham said...

This second set of kids keeps me in the school supply aisles, PTA meetings, fall festivals, concession stands, and running the roads picking up and delivering. Ha

tattoomamaofthree.wordpress.com said...

Oh I am with you. I was so excited when school started this year. But then 5:30am football practices started for my 13 year old and I found myself longing for summer again. :)

A Reader's Life said...

I'm always happiest in the stationery aisles, buying up notebooks, pens, journals, e.t.c. I wanted when I was a kid.

pingcall said...

Unable to purchase Bitcoin in Binance.
Are you finding an error while purchasing bitcoin in Binance account? If you’re looking for solutions to deal with such issues and need solution, you can always take help from the team of elite executives who are always there to assist you. You can call on Binance Customer service Number which is all the time functional. Contact the team for availing quality results that help in fixing solutions. Speak to the team all the time to get results that are easy to execute and can be functional for all the time.
Website: http://www.cryptophonesupport.com/exchange/binance/