Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Scratch That!



By Jody Worsham



All rights reserved for a scratching post



As you slowdown in life, the allergies that have been chasing you for the past sixty-five years finally catch up. I'm sure if you are in, near, or close to my current decade, you have noticed slight changes in your digestion. Lactose is no longer your friend so you become intolerant. Strawberries start to give you hives. Prunes become your fruit of choice…by default. Almonds and other nuts can suddenly make you itch for no apparent reason.



The other night I was awakened at three a.m. with itchy boobs. Now I know what you are thinking, but that isn't the case. My scalp, ears, knees, arms, and back also began to itch. I tried scratching with my finger nubs, a brush, the door facing…I was headed for the metal bar-b-q grill brush when I passed the medicine chest and remembered the Benadryl.



When I awoke, two days later, I suspected the almonds. In my futile attempt to lose weight the last two days, I had opted for the Asian Salad covered in almonds with the fewest calories at Mickey D's. I had eaten that two days in a row and on the third day the itching began.



While food choices must change, or will, you begin to invest large amounts of money in Benadryl, Calamine lotion, anti-histamines. That may not be the only thing you must change.



The laundry detergent I have used for ten years, I suspect has turned on me. Good old Arm and Hammer laundry detergent is exhibiting more hammer than arm. That is the only thing that I can figure that is causing me to continue waking with the itchies since I haven't eaten any nuts in a week. Once I was fully awake, I realized I was itching all over just not all at the same time. When I was a kid we believed that such itches were caused by "beatchy bugs". By the time you reached the spot that was itching, the "itch" would beat you to another spot…beat-you-to-it bugs... beachey bugs. I ruled out bed bugs since no one else was having the same symptoms.



The other possible cause of my itching is my attempt at recycling. Previously I had changed laundry detergents in an attempt to whiten and brighten my husbands' tee shirts. He began to itch. Rather than throw away the container with the handy dandy dispenser that I could dispense from the upper cabinet right into the washer, I just poured Arm and Hammer into the container. I don't think they got along. Maybe it's a chemical reaction. Maybe you aren't supposed to recycle empty jugs to keep the economy on track. By recycling, I may have put hundreds of dispenser people out of work.



Now I'm not only itching, I'm feeling guilty as well. So between the nuts, the detergent, my attempt to repurpose, reuse, guilt for my contribution to the national debt, I am now depressed. I think I may have to resort to the wine cure….eight ounces of wine every two hours; then whatever is happening, I won't care.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. I never thought of that. I've just been liberally applying copious amounts of some cortisone cream. At least I'm keeping the manaufacturers of this stuff employed. BTW - I didn't eat the nuts.

Jamie Miles said...

This sounds like a condition we were discussing in my womens Sunday School class yesterday. Except the victim was a 6-year-old girl. Seems she had a convergence of infections that made her body produce a surge of histamine. Her histamine receptors can't shut off...it does gradually go away in most cases. Hopefully yours will calm down by glass four. Cheers.

Humana Part D said...

That's what they say. As you grow older, the body starts to deteriorate. Even the strongest of men and women will be caught up by age.

Sharon said...

Let me know if the wine cure works. I have a nasty case of heat rash around my neck. Liberally dabbing Listerine a couple times a day seems to keep it in check.
Great story as always. I was laughing and scratching at the same time.